PO Box 50688
Mendota, MN 55150
At the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers, Mendota takes its name from the Dakota word meaning "meeting of the waters." Mendota was a trading-post village and the center of Red River fur trade in the 1830s. Sibley House Museum was the first stone house in Minnesota and was built in 1835 by Henry Sibley, a pioneer fur trader and the first governor of Minnesota. Faribault House, located next door, also has been restored; guided tours of both houses are available.